Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pied Flycatcher at Murrow








It has been a long time coming, but it was definitely worth it! My longest most irritating bogey bird has finally been and gone and been a-ticked. I can't count the number of hours I have spent attempting to twitch the untwitchable Pied Flycatcher, the amount of frustration I have experienced or the number of times I have thought, aha, this is the day I find a Piedy Fly.
I only feel sorry for the Peterborough area listers who were out of town today, notably John Saunders and most painful of all Brian Stone, who has 'needed' Pied Fly longer than me.
This first-winter bird turned up in Marie Barton's exceptional garden in Murrow, in the east of the PBC area. Last year she had a Yellow-browed Warbler there (which proved elusive). It arrived yesterday and thanks to some nasty weather last night, and her persistent viewing this morning, it was still around at around 12.30pm. Jasmine and I arrived at 1.30pm and were given grandstand seats for the wondrous action in the front garden (which looks a perfect Pied Flycatcher spot). Thank you very much, Marie.
My digiscoping camera was out of juice, but I managed these snaps with the DSLR and 300mm lens.
Bogey finally picked, I am very happy.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Well done Mike, good images as well.