Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Quake not Quake

I've reached the final stages of Black on the PS2. Yes, I'm a pacifist who likes to blow virtual things up and shoot wicked terrorists in a glorious first-person fashion, on me telly. Inevitably, I'm blowing up RPG guys and chucking grenades all over the place and the vibration of the controller is in full overload. It's after midnight, and I really should be in bed; but I can't save the game until the end of the level, and I'm blowed if I'm going through all this again.

Then the low rumble of a truck pulling up outside is followed by the sound of at least 50 cats bouncing up and down on the conservatory roof. And boy are they having a rare old dance. I'm briefly concerned that a shotgun man is trying to get me through the roof, then resolve that the local police helicopter is flying extremely low on its way to raiding the new people nextdoor.

But when I poked my head out of the door, the 'chopper' was gone.

Strangely, though, for one o'clock in the morning, there were Blackbirds and Robins singing all over the place...

I've dibbled around the Pacific rim, spent a short time in New Zealand and lived in Japan for a bit. But, I have previously always been blissfully ignorant of any earthquakes shaking my world, until last night.

Now, when's the next one?

No comments: