Sunday, February 10, 2008

Black-necked Grebe





It was a beautiful frozen morning today, and I took the opportunity to go out on my own for the first time this year (which sounds like I am what is technically termed a nutter), driving down to Orton Brick Pit to search for the Black-necked Grebe (further evidence?).

The bird was easily found near 'the mound', but straightaway swam far out.

I met the bird's finder, Dave Bradley (and his black lab) and he assured me that the bird spends more time close in than not and is not perturbed by humans.

While I waited, though, I tried a few sketches...

However, it wasn't until the farmer of the adjacent land set off an extremely loud explosive rocket, panicking all the birds, that the grebe swam back to its favourite corner, where I was waiting. Oh, for more time...

Also seen this morning were two Green Woodpeckers, Kingfisher, Great Spotted Woodpecker, two Red-crested Pochards and a few pairs of displaying Goldeneye, including a female with her head down inviting a drake to climb aboard. He didn't quite seem to know what to do, so showed her his orange feet one at a time, instead!

No comments: