Tuesday, August 02, 2005

HB and Emerald Damselfly

Today (2.8.05) was a historic day, as I bagged species 211 for my PBC area list (also 160 for my local year list). Local ticks are becoming harder and harder to come by, and this one was always going to need a bit of luck. Luckily Brian Stone (aka The Natural) chose Castor Hanglands as a good lunchtime spot for a visit. We heard a Buzzard call and looked up top see a circling Honey Buzzard (that's the tick), which a rising Buzzard cleared off the premises. The latter was notably chunky, almost owl-like compared to the long-winged, long-tailed HB, with its kite-like tailrudder action and down-forced wings.

Here's a few sketches I put together to show how it looked (all bulging secondaries and slim profile).

I also managed a shot of a female Emerald Damselfly (which I have always failed to get before). Click on the image for a big version.
Nikon Coolpix 4500

No comments: