Monday, May 16, 2005

Fulmar: 210






Nikon Coolpix 880 + Kowa TSN-821 + 32xW LER
I was feeling as ill as anything on Sunday (15.5.05) and awoke from a deep afternoon sleep to find numerous messages on my mobile. In a nutshell, Martin Coates (without Sparky) and his GPOG birdrace team (a 24-hour bird race around the hallowed PBC area) had found a Fulmar on a rarely-checked pit west of Langtoft, Lincolnshire. I made the dash as quickly as possible (despite flu), partly as I heard the poor bird was looking as sick as I felt and may not be long for this world (and you can't tick corpses or else many GPOGers would already have Fulmar on their local lists after a dead one visited their pub, after being found at Holme Fen last year).
Here are the best of the shots I managed (it looks almost healthy, doesn't it?) of this, species number 210 on my PBC list. Thanks, Martin and co.

PS: At the time of writing, the bird was still alive, trying roost on the bank of the pit.

No comments: